Monday, January 26, 2009

Translating my CV is driving me crazy. Please help!

Hey guys. As you guys know English is my second language (Spanish being my first). I’m working on submitting my CV to some international organizations.

These are my questions:

  • I have a Bachelors in Law (it’s different in Latin America; we do 5 years of pure law with no prior degree in humanities or history or whatever it is you need in the U.S.). Will this be understood? I mean, the Bachelors in Law term.
  • I have a post-grad in Economics (less than a masters, one year of school) but I can’t find a term for it in English. Is postgraduate a correct term?
  • I’m doing a “Diplomado” (a qualification of 15 credits provided by the United Nations). I have two questions about this: (1) This is a 4-month course but there are no terms for it that I can find to translate. Would “Certificate of advanced study in” or “Certificate of qualification in” be proper wording to describe a course such as this? (2) I am doing my CV in chronological order and this certification is the last of my studies, but it’s a lot less important than my masters degree. Would it be OK if I put it under my masters—though I’m still coursing it?

I’d really be very grateful for any help you guys could give me. You have no idea how hard translating my CV has been. I have a headache that’s almost blinding me and I have to finish ASAP.

Labels:


3 comment(s):

Blogger Thomas J. Brown said...

I'm not totally sure, but here are my guesses:

1) Sounds good to me, but I'm not a lawyer.

2) I guess so. Is it actually a degree?

3) Definitely.

1/26/2009 08:55:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not an expert, but here's my two cents:

1) We have something similar at some universities in Canada. I'm not sure how things work where you guys are, but it makes sense to me.

2) I'm not really sure. I've heard postgraduate studies and graduate studies used sometimes interchangeably. I was never 100% sure if they were the same thing.

3)I agree with Thomas, especially if you're arranging things in chronological order. Maintains the flow and it avoids it looking disorganized.

1/27/2009 06:16:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out law degree terms here.

http://www2.law.smu.edu/

1/30/2009 08:49:00 AM